CANNING LABEL SIZES
We often get asked what label size will fit a certain ounce canning jar. If you're adding the label to your lid, you need to know the lid size and not the jar volume. Mason canning jars have either regular mouth or wide mouth lids. Please refer to the chart below to determine what label size you need for your lids.
When adding to the FRONT of the glass, 2" or 2.5" round labels will work on regular 8 oz half pint jelly jars or larger jars. A 1.5" label will fit the FRONT of a 4 oz Ball jar or the LID of a 1.5 oz favor jar. The 1.5" label will NOT work on the front of the small 1.5 oz favor jars because it will be too large.
There are different styles and brands of canning jars, so sizes vary on height and width of the glass. There are also many jars available that aren't specifically for canning food. Please measure your jars to know which label size you need.
Our adhesive peel and stick labels are sold by the sheet in a variety of sizes and shapes. The total number of labels on each sheet will depend on the label size chosen.
ROUND LABEL SIZES
- 1.5 inch (30 labels per sheet) for small 1 oz favor jars lids
- 2 inch (20 labels per sheet) for regular mouth jar lids
- 2.5 inch (12 labels per sheet) for wide mouth jar lids
Shop all of our round canning labels.
Find the right size label for your jar by downloading our printable canning label size chart.
Shop all of our custom honey labels.
Shop all of our custom maple syrup labels.
OVAL & HEART LABEL SIZES
In addition to the standard round labels, we also have oval and heart shaped labels in several sizes. Large ovals are great for custom honey labels. Hearts are beautiful for weddings and showers.
- Small ovals 2.5" x 1.375" (21 labels per sheet) ––– for 4oz & 8oz quilted style jam jars
- Large ovals 3.25" x 2" (10 labels per sheet) ––– for 16oz & larger honey jars
- Large hearts 2.275" x 1.9" (15 labels per sheet) ––– for fronts of pint & larger jars, envelope seals
- Small hearts .75" x .75" (108 labels per sheet) ––– for favor jars, honey lids, Kiss candy bottoms
Shop all of our oval canning labels and heart labels.
RECTANGLE LABEL SIZES
Rectangle labels fit on mason jars, wine bottles, or candles. These larger labels can accommodate more text, so they work well for cottage food industry labels.
- 8 rectangle canning labels are on each sheet.
- Size is 3.5” x 2” (8.26 cm x 5.08 cm). Orientation can be vertical or horizontal.
- Vertical labels do NOT fit on 8oz half pint or 16oz pint jars! Vertical labels only fit 32oz QUART jars. See size chart photo.
- Labels look best on smooth sided jars.
Shop all of our rectangle canning labels.
CLOTH COVER SIZES
Our fabric cloth toppers are pre-cut to 6" circles since that works on most canning jar sizes. The 6" cloth covers fit on regular mouth or wide mouth jars. About half of the fabric will show around the edges of a wide mouth jar compared to a regular mouth jar. Please refer to the chart below showing how jam jar covers look on various sized jars.
Since 4 oz jars are short, a lot of the jar's contents will get covered up with the 6" fabric cloth. Some people prefer to have a 5" cloth cover for the shorter jars so they can see more of the jam. A 4" cloth cover works well on the 1.5 oz favor jars.
We're sometimes able to fulfill special orders for smaller or larger cloth covers. Availability will depend on which fabric you need and how soon you need it. If you need a custom size cloth cover order, please contact us for availability.
Please note, cloth covers won't work on hermetic jars (jars with glass lids with hinges).
Shop all of our cloth jam jar covers.
If you have any questions about what canning label size you need, please send us a message on our contact form.